Monday, June 11, 2012

An Engagement Story

I decided the best way to retell our engagement story is just to take it word for word from my journal entry after it happened.  Granted, this means there are probably going to be a lot more details involved than I'm sure  Jon would like and most of you care to know.  Oh well!

February 3, 2009  (My Birthday!)

Okay so it's WAY late and I need to go to bed but I had to write in my journal tonight.  Not only is it my 21st birthday today, but I also got engaged on Saturday!  WOW!  I even have a ring, a BEAUTIFUL ring and everything!
I got engaged to Jonathan William Day on Saturday, Jan. 31, 2009We had met up at my house (in Clifton) for the weekend because it was Mimi's (roomate) birthday on Sun. the 1st and my mom was making she and I birthday dinner on Sunday.  So Becky, Mimi and I all drove up.  On Friday night we went to Babe's last home basketball game- it was senior night- and Jon was late getting there because he said he said he stalled at Walmart because he thought he was going to beat us there.  I was kinda annoyed by that- well just that he didn't realize it took longer to get to Clifton from Provo than from Rexburg.  When I found out the next night that he was actually late because he was buying my ring I felt pretty guilty that I'd ever been a little annoyed.
Saturday we spent most of the day doing homework-pretty boring but necessary.  I have to admit, I wondered if he'd propose that weekend, but I dismissed it as highly unlikely.  Then, later in the day on Sat., Jon left me upstairs ans said he had a phone call to make.  It took him forever and again I wondered, 'Is he outside asking my dad or something?' but yet again I dismissed the idea as highly unlikely.  After all, we had been planning on March the last I knew.  (Even though I had actually had a whim of crazy inspiration on Thurs. and called and reserved 12pm on May 29 for the Logan temple) -[we changed this date later to May 1].  When Jon came upstairs Becky totally blew it by saying, "How was talking to my Dad?" and then giggling.  Immediately I thought, 'Oh boy, he just asked my Dad! Holy Smokes!'  He excused it off as just talking about politics but at this point I was fairly certain he had asked my dad if he could marry me.  However, I still did not figure on getting engaged before a few more weeks.  The rest of the day was uneventful and involved mostly homework until about 8:00pm.  Jon said he was sick of homework and needed to get out of the house and go for a drive or something.
We headed out and Jon suggested we drive to either the cemetery or the lakes.  Both were places I'd taken him to before because they're pretty.  (He actually just wanted to go to the lakes but he was trying to throw me off).  I told him, "Oh, I don't know.  They both actually sound pretty creepy to me!"  [It was super dark out!]  A little discouraged, I'm sure, but not showing it, Jon headed towards the cemetery but then turned around and said, "No, let's go to the lakes."  So he drove us up to the lakes, me commenting on it's creepiness and how we were going to die- and finally when the car started getting close to high-centering on the road [this was Winter time and the roads at Twin Lakes had tons of snow on them!], he stopped the car and we got out.
He pulled his sleeping bag out of his trunk and then we walked down to the beach and found a pebbly area with no snow to set it down on and talk.  It was actually quite pretty and serene up there....and freezing cold not to mention!  We sat there for a minute and then he got up and said, "Wait here.  I gotta go grab your birthday present."  He left to the car and again, for a fleeting moment I thought, 'I wonder...' but then I again tossed it away.  He came back with some red roses (3) and a heart tin of dove chocolates and told me, "Happy Birthday!  Sorry I can't be there on the real day."  He gave me a hug and we talked for a few minutes and he popped out an "I love you Emmalee and I'm going to love you forever!"  I told him I loved him too and then all of a sudden it got kinda silent and awkward and he's like, "Well- I guess that's about it."  I told him, "Well hold on, we can stay here a bit longer and enjoy the moment."  He said 'ok' and then we sat there for a minute and he pops out a "Do you want to be standing or sitting?"  Very confused I said, "What?"  He said again, "Do you want to stand or sit?"  I said, "I have no idea what you're trying to say to me!"" THEN, he said, "When you imagined that perfect moment, were you standing or sitting?"  It started to click at that moment and all I could really do was stutter something and stare so he said, "Ok, well how about you just sit right there, and I'm gonna get like this," and he kneeled on one knee in front of me! " and I'm gonna show you this guy," and he pulled out the ring! "And say, Emmalee (pause) Indi (little smile)- will you marry me?" [Indi was my camp name that he had to call me by for 3 months when we first met]
Quite stunned, overwhelmed, cold, and surprised I kinda flipped- spurting out a bunch of things like, "Wait, What? When did you get the ring??  When did you ask my dad??  Are you sure??  I thought we were going to wait until March!"?  Before finally saying, "Yes, of course I'll marry you!"  And he put the ring, my number one choice from Schubach's, on my finger and we hugged and kissed and laughed and told each other we loved each other.  Oh my goodness- and I forgot to mention he had set up candles around us in the snow when he had given me the roses and chocolates earlier.  We finished up by a dance on the beach, by my request of course :)

I still had to finish my semester at BYU Idaho before we were married in May, so our entire engagement was long distance.  We took our engagement pictures at Trefoil Ranch (where we met) and also some at Vivian Park (up Provo Canyon, only a few miles from Trefoil).  I was happy because I got my braces off just a few days before our engagement pictures!  Yay!  
Saying "Yes" to Jon is one of the best decisions I've ever made.  I love that guy more that I could explain.  I would seriously be lost without him! 









No comments:

Post a Comment